Here is a new must bookmark for your browser. The website “Strong Runner Chicks” recently published a story about Karissa Schweizer and nutrition. Below is a segment of the article. For the full article click here!
Courtesy Strong Running Chicks, click Here! Feature photo: Karissa Schweizer-Dowling-Mizzou ©Michael Scott 2017. https://miscottrunning photo.shutterfly.com
Hello SRC, happy Thursday! This week we have the privilege of hearing from 3x NCAA champion, Karissa Schweizer! Karissa shares advice on running strong and reminds us all to love the sport of running and do what makes you happy.
- Who are you? Karissa Schweizer, 21, Urbandale, IA. University of Missouri mile through 5k specialist.
- Greatest running achievement? Some of my greatest achievements thus far have been 2016 Cross Country NCAA champion, 2017 indoor 5k NCAA champion, and 2017 outdoor 5k NCAA champion. 5 time All-American. Four time SEC champion.
- What is your your favorite pre-workout snack? Meal? My favorite pre-workout snack for a morning workout is coffee and toast with peanut butter and jelly. When I have afternoon workouts I love to make kodiak pancakes with chocolate chips topped with a banana and peanut butter.
- How do your refuel after an easy day? Hard day? I usually practice in the morning, so my favorite way to refuel is a large breakfast. My go to breakfast is a egg-white scramble with lots of vegetables and potatoes, topped with a lot of salsa, and a side of jelly toast. And with that, to satisfy my horrible sweet tooth I usually have yogurt with lots of fruit topped with granola and Nutella.
- When it comes to running and nutrition, do you believe they go hand in hand? I believe nutrition plays a huge factor in running, just like how you can’t expect a car to run without fuel. I typically try to eat healthy but I have learned that strict dieting doesn’t work for me and if I am craving something I will eat it!