The Iowa State men’s and women’s track and field teams kicked off the 2015 outdoor season over the weekend at the Baldy Castillo Invitational hosted in Tempe, Ariz. Six different Cyclones set individual personal best marks over the course of the two-day event.
Iowa State’s men’s squad finished seventh with 30 total team points, while the women earned eighth with 49.
Courtesy Cyclone Athletics
Redshirt senior Henry Kelley started the Cyclones off on the right foot Friday night hurling an impressive 187’ 10” (57.26m) to place 10th in the hammer throw. The Waukee, Iowa native’s personal record toss moved him from sixth to fifth on Iowa State’s all-time top-performers chart.
Anna Holtermann and Kayla Sanborn competed on the women’s side of the hammer throw, taking 13th (176-08.00) and 21st (159-06.00) respectively.
Iowa State resumed action on Saturday with the men’s 110-meter hurdles. Freshman Logan Schneider and junior Taylor Sanderson scored big team points for the Cyclones capturing third and fourth overall in the race.
Senior Kendra White owned the women’s 400-meter dash taking first place and finishing more than two seconds ahead of the second-place runner. White is coming off an indoor season that saw her set a school record in the 400-meter run (53.81).
In the first outdoor meet of her collegiate career Jhoanmy Luque scored 18 team points on her own, posting a 19-05.5 second-place mark in the long jump and won the triple jump with the second-best leap in the country of 41-01.25. The Valencia, Carabobo, Venezuela native moved into seventh on the Iowa State all-time performers list the long jump.
The Cyclones will return to action in two weeks with a pair of meets. The team is scheduled to run in the Tiger Track Classic in Auburn, Ala. and the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto, California. Follow Iowa State track and field’s twitter account @cyclonetrackxc for live updates on the meets. Results will be posted on cyclones.com at the conclusion of each day.
- *Henry Kelly (HT): 187-10.00
- *Taylor Sanderson (Discuss): 136-07.00
- *Kaci Storm (100m H): 14.60
- *Alyssa Gonzalez (400m H): 1:00.93
- *Jhoanmy Luque (LJ): 19-05.5
- *Logan Schneider (200m): 22.31
- Hammer Throw (M): 1) Gian Ferretti, Minnesota, 226-02.00; 10) Henry Kelley, Iowa State, 187-10.00
- Hammer Throw (W): 1) Julia Reedy, Oklahoma, 200-02.00 13) Anna Holtermann, Iowa State, 176-08.00; 21) Kayla Sanborn, Iowa State, 159-05.00.
- Discuss (M): 1) Gabe Hull, Iowa, 181-02.00; 23) Taylor Sanderson, Iowa State, 136-07.00.
- High Jump (M): 1) Bryan McBride, Arizona State, 7-02.00; T6) Jalen Ford, Iowa State, 6-08.00
- Shot Put (M): Ryan Whiting, Nike, 68-08.00; 3) Jan Jeuschede, Iowa State, 58-10.25.
- Long Jump (W): 1) Kennadi Washington, 19-05.5; 2) Jhoanmy Luque, Iowa State, 19-05.5.
- High Jump (W): 1) Megan Glisar, South Dakota, 6-00.00; 2)Marine Vallet, Iowa State, 5-11.00; 4) Katie Reeves, Iowa State, 5-07.5; 8) Hannah Willms, Iowa State, 5-03.5.
- Triple Jump (W): 1) Jhoanmny Luque, Iowa State, 41-02.25.
- 110-m H (M): 1) Aaron Mallet, Iowa, 13.85; 3) Logan Schneider, Iowa State, 14.66; 4) Taylor Sanderson, Iowa State, 14.67.
- 100m H (W): 1) Kimberly Stueckle, Washington, 13.55; 7) Kaci Storm, Iowa State, 14.60.
- 100m (M): 1) Jamol James, Arizona State, 10.47; 15) Jared Ingram, Iowa State, 10.92.
- 4x100m relay (M): 1) Texas A&M, 38.98; 7) Iowa State, 41.95.
- 400m H (M): 1) Aikan Graham, Texas A&M, 51.99; 2) Derek Jones, Iowa State, 52.22; 9) Kris Brander, Iowa State, 54.18; 13) Trey Achterhoff, Iowa State, 55.81.
- 400m H (W): 1) Montayla Holder, Iowa, 58.59; 3) Alyssa Gonzalez, Iowa State, 1:00.93.
- 200m (M): 1) James Harrington, Iowa, 20.98; 12) Jared Ingram, Iowa State, 21.94; 19) Logan Schneider, Iowa State, 22.31.
- 200m (W): 1) Shamier Little, Texas A&M, 23.45; 20) Kaci Storm, Iowa State, 26.01.
- 4x400m Relay (M): 1) Texas A&M, 3:06.67; 8) Iowa State, 3:17.8