The UNI women’s cross country team was picked to finish fourth in the 2018 MVC preseason poll released today by the league.
The women’s team is coming off a year that saw the program’s highest finish at a regional meet after claiming seventh overall at the NCAA Midwest Regional.
Courtesy Panthers Athletics, click here! Feature photo: UNI Women’s XC 2017 ©Jim Kirby 2017
The Panthers graduated Brette Correy, Ashley Norem and Tiffany Christensen but return McKayla Cole, Gabby Champion and Alyssa Williams from that regional roster.
Cole was named MVC Freshman of the Year. She was 10th at the MVC Championships. The Panthers were picked to finish first and took second place at the 2017 championships. In 2016, UNI
CJ May returns to lead the men’s team, which was picked to finish seventh in the preseason poll. His finish at last year’s championships was a personal best placing at the meet for the junior. May took 22nd and Alex Jackson took 28th. The men return Ben Alrichs. Logan Murray and Ethan Smith who competed on the MVC championship lineup.
UNI finished seventh in last year’s men’s race.
UNI will open its schedule at the Hawkeye Invite 6 p.m. Aug. 31. The team will head to Bradley’s course in Peoria, Illinois, at least three times to compete this season. The Braves will be hosting the Missouri Valley Conference Championships Oct. 27.
- Aug. 31 – Hawkeye Invite | Iowa City, Iowa | 6 p.m.
- Sept. 14 – Bradley Intercollegiate | Peoria, Illinois | 5:45 p.m.
- Sept. 29 – Roy Girak Invitational | Minneapolis, Minnesota | TBD
- Oct. 12 – Bradley Pink Classic | Peoria, Illinois | 4 p.m.
- Oct. 27 – MVC Championships | Peoria, Illinois | 11:30 a.m.
- Nov. 9 – NCAA Midwest Regional | Peoria, Illinois