Friday morning the Black Hills State University cross country program held the final Yellow Jacket Invitational in its only home meet of the year. Alec Baldwin won the men’s race in convincing fashion but that was secondary to what was announced following the race.
Head coach Scott Walkinshaw announced following the race that from now on, the home meet for Black Hills State will be known as the Gage McSpadden Memorial Invitational. McSpadden was a member of the Yellow Jacket cross country team before being killed during the summer.
Also following Friday’s race, Vice President for University Advancement Steve Meeker announced that the Gage McSpadden Memorial Endowment Scholarship has been fully funded and will be awarded in the fall of 2016.
Meeker stated that in his 25 years at Black Hills State, he has not seen a collective effort to raise funds for a single cause as he did for Gage McSpadden’s Memorial Endowment. Meeker also noted the endowment was spearheaded by the Yellow Jackets opponents Friday morning, University of Mary’s head coach Dennis Newell.
Newell is a former All-American for Black Hills State and is a 2015 inductee into the Yellow Jackets Hall of Fame.
In the race, a dual with Mary, the Yellow Jacket men won with 21 points led by Baldwin’s 6K time of 19:08.65. Jonah Theisen crossed the line in second place in 19:52.07. Kenall Murie claimed fourth and Joshua Davis in sixth in 19:57.97 and 20:13.34, respectively.
Aaron Schone placed eighth and Isaac Iverson ninth as the final Yellow Jackets in the top-10.
The University of Mary claimed 37 points in the men’s race.
On the women’s side, Mary won the team title with 15 points led by Alexis Zeis, who was the individual medalist. The Yellow Jackets were led by a pair of freshmen for the second-straight meet as Cailey Roth placed sixth in the 4K in 16:22.87 and Tori Moore seventh in 16:37.52.
Shelby Stoltz, Katelyn Woten and Sierra Miles placed ninth, 10th and 11th, respectively. Stoltz’s time was 17:08.66, Woten in 17:17.85 and Miles in 17:30.20.
Black Hills State’s harriers next return to the course September 26 at the Roy Griak Invitational in St. Paul, Minnesota. However on Saturday, the inaugural Gage McSpadden “Sherriff” 5K run/3K walk takes place at Spearfish City Park. Anyone interested in running or walking may register day of the race.
Alec Baldwin, the junior from Spirit Lake Park claimed fourth place in the D2 1,500-meter run in 3:48.73. Baldwin had outstanding XC and indoor seasons and carried that momentum on to outdoor to earn his third NCAA All-America honor after claiming the elite status in the mile run and distance medley relay during the 2015 indoor season.
Congratulations to Alec Baldwin The Next Level Iowa’s D2 Runner of the Year!
Leah Seivert collected her second career outdoor All-American honors and finished as the top freshman in both her events at the D2 championships. The Sibley Ocheyden native entered the 5k ranked 14th and fought her way to a new personal-best time of 16:47.23 to take fourth. Seivert closed her freshman campaign earning her fourth All-American accolades, after taking 10th in cross country, seventh in the 5,000-meter during the indoor season, and fourth in the 10k on Thursday.
“For Seivert [Leah] to place with her fourth All-American award as a true freshman really confirms her place as one of Division II top distance runners,” Coach Tracy Hellman said.
Black Hills State University made it three-for-three for All-America honors as Madison McLaughlin and Alec Baldwin each placed highly at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Allendale, Michigan.
McLaughlin placed third in the shot put with her toss of 50-8.25. The throw came on her first toss and was able to hold off the field of 19 competitors for her second-straight Outdoor Shot Put All-America accolade.
Baldwin claimed fourth place in the 1,500-meter run in 3:48.73. The junior qualified for the finals of the event on Thursday and carried the momentum for his third NCAA All-America honor after claiming the elite status in the mile run and distance medley relay during the 2015 indoor season.
Mitch Kraft placed eighth in the steeplechase on Friday giving the Yellow Jackets three All-Americans during the outdoor season. Kraft exhausted his NCAA eligibility following the race while Baldwin and McLaughlin will return for their senior seasons.
Results from the weekend…
- Iowa State teams had a busy but successful weekend Click Here!
- UNI happy with results at Nebraska Click Here!
- Shelby wins 800 at home meet as she prepares for Drake Relays 800! Click Here!
- Drake very competitive on the Blue Oval Click Here!
- Iowa wins 5 events at Jim Duncan Click Here!
- Central came up with some very good results in Des Moines Click Here!
- UNO Mavericks get good efforts from former Iowa preps Click Here! and also Click Here!
- Schweizer and Waymire perform well for Mizzou Click Here!
The state of Iowa will be well represented at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville this weekend.
- Arizona State-Shelby Houlihan (SC East) will be in Heat 1, lane 7 in the Mile prelims on Fiday at 6:00 PM
- Shelby will run the 3K final on Saturday at 8:00 PM
- UNI-Sebastian Barth will be in Heat 1, lane 8 in the 60HH prelims on Friday at 6:45 PM
- Iowa-Aaron Mallett will be in Heat 1, lane 4 in the 60HH prelims on Friday at 6:45 PM
- Kevin Lewis (Ottumwa) will be in the 5,000M finals on Friday at 8:45 PM.
- Iowa State-Edward Kemboi will be in Heat 2, lane 4 in the 800M prelims on Friday at 7:55 PM.
- The Cyclones will be in the Men’s DMR on Friday at 9:20 PM.
- Katie Moen (Wapsie Valley Fairbank) will run the 3k final on Saturday at 8:00 PM
- Arkansas-Former Iowa Central CC national champion Stanley Kebenei will run the 3K final on Saturday at 8:15 PM
Complete D1 meet info Click Here!
- Black Hills State-Alec Baldwin (Spirit Lake Park) will be in Heat 2, lane 4 in the Mile prelims on Friday at 4:45 PM
- Baldwin will be on the DMR at 7:50 PM on Friday
- Grand Valley State-Jessica Janecke (Dubuque Wahlert) will be in 5k final on Friday at 7:10 PM
- Augustana SD-Paul Yak (Storm Lake St Mary’s) will be in the 5K final on Friday at 7:10 PM
- Leah Seivert (Sibley Ocheyden) will be in the 5k final on Friday at 6:45 PM and the 3k final at 5:40 PM on Saturday
Results Click Here!
Complete D2 meet info is here: http://www.ustfccca.org/weekly-results/national-championships-central-indoor-track-field#d2