What a weekend, it was, in collegiate Track and Field for native Iowans and Iowa collegians. D1 held regional qualifying meets and D2, D3 and NAIA held their national championships. Here is a quick synopsis of the results:
Feature photo: Oksana Covey-DM Christian-S. Dakota St. ©Jim Kirby 2017
D1 Men: 17 different athletes qualified in 12 events, to Eugene for the NCAA Championships.
- D1 Women: 8 different athletes qualified in 10 events.
- D2 Men: 1 athlete qualified for the NCAA Championships.
- D2 Women: 1 athlete qualified in 2 events, earning All American in 1.
- D3 Men: 25 different athletes qualified in 23 events earning 20 All American honors (individual and relay legs)
- D3 Women: 23 different athletes qualified in 25 events, earning 18 All American honors and 1 National Champion.
- NAIA Men: 57 different athletes qualified in 54 events, earning 18 All American honors and 2 National Champions.
- NAIA Women: 43 different athletes in 40 events, earning 24 All American honors.
Here is the link to all things pertaining to the national championships, in all divisions, click here!
In Division 1: The top 12 finishers, in each event, from each preliminary/regional meet (East and West) will make up the final field of 24 that will make the trip to Eugene.
Names in BOLD are Iowa’s Division 1 athletes who have qualified for D1 Championships in Eugene and All Americans in NAIA, D2 or D3.
The following Iowans and Iowa connections competed in the West Regional, in Austin, Texas, May 25-27:
- Brandon Carnes, UNI 100M, 200M- 4th in 100M and 23rd in 200M. Advances to Eugene in 100M.
- Caulin Graves, Drake, 100M- 36th in 1st
- O’Shea Wilson, Iowa 100M, Long Jump- 13th in 100M. 8th in LJ. Advances to Eugene in LJ.
- Christian Brissett, Iowa 200M- 42nd in 1st
- Mar’yea Harris, Iowa 400M-7th. Advances to Eugene.
- Emmanuel Ogowo, Iowa 400M. 20th in quarter finals.
- Collin Hofacker, Iowa 400M. 29th in 1st
- Carter Lilly, SC East/Iowa 800M. 14th in quarter finals.
- Jaymes Dennison, ISU 800M. 34th in 1st
- Roshon Roomes, ISU 800M. 23rd in quarter finals.
- Will Teubel, Mt. Vernon/Iowa 800M. 27th in 1st
- Colynn Black, ISU 800M. 29th in 1st
- Luke Johnston, UNI 800M. 45th in 1st
- Jordan Pingel, Pella/UNI 800M. 44th in 1st
- Christian DeLago, ISU 1500M. 10th in quarter final, but did not advance to Eugene on time because of his fast section.
- Dan Curts, ISU 1500M. 22nd in 1st
- Adam Jones, Iowa 1500M. 30th in 1st
- Nathan Mylenek, Iowa Steeplechase. 25th in 1st
- Reed Fischer, Drake 5K and 10K. 27th in 5K 1st 8th in 10K and advances to Eugene.
- Andrew Jordan, ISU 5K. 18th in 1st
- Thomas Pollard, Gilbert/ISU 10K. 26th in 1st
- Aaron Mallett, Iowa 1st in quarter finals, advances to Eugene.
- Jon Rus, North Scott/UNI 110HH. 19th in quarter finals.
- Daurice Fountan, UNI 110HH. 40th in 1st
- Cole Phillips, Mt. Pleasant/UNI 110HH. 43rd in 1st
- Noah Larrison, Waukee/Iowa 400H. 18th in quarter finals.
- Bas Van Leersum, Drake 400H. 21st in quarter finals.
- Jacob Smith, WB-ND/UNI 400H. 34th in 1st
- Mitch Wolff, Iowa 400H. 17th in quarter finals
- Hudson Priebe, Drake 400H. 43rd in 1st
- Derek Jones, Glenwood/ISU 400H. 15th in quarter finals.
- Iowa-4×100- (Brissett, Wilson, Brendan Thompson of Ft. Madison, Mallett). 6th. Advances to Eugene.
- Iowa- 4×400. (Frye, Ogwo, Hofacker, Harris). 2nd. Advances to Eugene.
- Jalen Ford, ISU High Jump. 8th. Advances to Eugene.
- Antown James, Iowa Triple Jump. 10th. Advances to Eugene.
- Reno Tuufuli, Iowa, Shot Put and Discus. 13th in Shot Put 1st 1st in Discus, advances to Eugene.
- Avery Meyers, West Liberty/Iowa Shot Put and Discus. 16th in Shot Put 1st 7th in Discus, advances to Eugene.
- Brad Walski, UNI Shot Put and Hammer Throw. 28th in Shot Put 1st 35th in 1st rd.
- Isaac Holtz, Monticello/UNI Discus. 26th in 1st
- Evan Colfack, KP-WC/UNI Discus. 35th in 1st
- Tom Yezek, Northwood Kensett/UNI, Discus. 34th in 1st
- Brady Grunder, Durant/Kansas State, Hammer Throw. 8th, advances to Eugene.
- Ethan Fenchel, Western Christian/South Dakota Hammer Throw. 29th in 1st
- Brittany Brown, Iowa, 3rd in quarter finals. Advances to Eugene.
- Brianna Guillory, Iowa, 400M. 18th in quarter finals.
- Alexis Hernandez, 400M, Iowa. 19th in quarter finals.
- Jasmine Staebler, Clayton Ridge/ISU, 800M. 12th in quarter finals. Advances to Eugene.
- Erinn Stenman-Fahey, ISU, 800M. 47th in 1st
- Lindsey KIte, Jesup/UNI, 800M. 42nd in 1st
- Oksana Covey, DM Christian, SD State, 800M. 28th in 1st
- Lyndsie Schinkel, Ankeny/UNI, 800M. 38th in 1st
- Evelyne Guay, ISU, 1500M. 26th in 1st
- Anna Holdiman McDonald, Waverly Shell Rock/Boise St., Steeplechase. 14th in 1st
- Kelly Naumann, ISU, Steeplechase.
- Marta Bote Gonzalez, Iowa, Steeplechase.
- Karissa Schweizer, Dowling Catholic/Missouri, 5K. 1st. Advances to Eugene.
- Erin Hooker, ISU, 5K. 29th in 1st
- Rebekah Topham, Griswold, Wichita State, 5K. 18th in 1st
- Anne Frisbie, ISU, 10K. 25th in 1st
- Andrea Shine, Iowa, 10K. 29th in 1st
- Mary Young, Urbandale, Drake, 100H. 17th in quarter finals.
- Iowa-4×100 and 4×400. 13th in 1st rd of both relays.
- Kassidy Sharp, Davis County/UNI, High Jump. 36th in 1st
- Jhoanmy Luque, ISU, Long Jump and Triple Jump. 3rd in LJ and 2nd in TJ. Advances to Eugene in both.
- Allanah McCorkle, Davenport Central/ISU, Long Jump. 10th, advancing to Eugene.
- Jahisha Thomas, Iowa, Long Jump and Triple Jump. 15th in TJ 1st 8th in LJ, advancing to Eugene.
- Kiera Washpun IC City High/Loyola, Ill, Long Jump. 42nd in 1st
- Taryn Rolle, Drake, Triple Jump. 36th in 1st
- Shelby Gunnells, Solon/ND State, Shot Put and Hammer Throw. 26th in Shot Put and and 26th in Hammer Throw.
- Laulauga Tausaga, Iowa, 3rd, advances to Eugene.
- Katelyn Weimerskirch, Dubuque Wahlert/ND State, Discus and Hammer Throw. 8th in Discus and 6th in Hammer Throw. Advances to Eugene in both.
- Maddy Nilles, Dubuque Wahlert/ND State, Discus and Hammer Throw. 27th in Discus and 26th in Hammer Throw.
- Sydney Laufenberg, Clinton/Illinois State, Discus. 29th in 1st
- Hope Koerprich, Dubuque Hempstead/UNI, Discus. 42nd in 1st
- Kiana Phelps, KPWC, Oregon, Discus. 22nd in 1st
- Sarah Pate, Clarke of Osceola/UNI, Hammer Throw. 17th in 1st
- Ariana Kuhn, Iowa State, Hammer Throw. 16th in 1st
- The following Iowans will be competed in the East Regional, in Lexington, Kentucky:
- Jeff Giannettino, WB-ND/US Army, High Jump. 42nd in 1st
- The Combined Events do not compete at Regional’s. The top 24 automatically move on to Eugene for the NCAA championships.
- Former Iowa preps Derek Jacobus-CR Kennedy/Arkansas and Will Dougherty-Moville Woodbury Central/Iowa will be in Eugene competing in the Decathlon.
D2. May 25-27 in Bradeton, Florida
Championship Meet website and results, click here!
- Josh Evans, Linn Mar/Colorado School of Mines, 1500M-
- Emily Thole, West Delaware/Central Missouri, 400M and 4×400- 19th in 400M 1st 8th in 4×400. All American.
D3. May 25-27 in Geneva, Ohio.
Championship Meet website and results, click here!
- Hope Heitman, Clayton Ridge/Central, 400M- 12th.
- Ashley Knudson, IC West/Wash U, 800M- 5th. All American.
- Taylor Officer, Waukee/Wartburg, 800M- 22nd.
- Abrah Masterson, Cornell College, 5K and 10K- Withdrew from meet due to foot injury.
- Audrey Miller, Loras, 5K and 10K- 6th in 10K, All American. 13th in 5K.
- Ashlyn Bagge, Independence/Wartburg, 5K and 10K. 8th in 10K and 6th in 5K. All American in both,
- Courtney Sowle, Camanche/Wartburg, 100H and Heptathlon. 20th in 100H. 7th in Heptathlon. All American
- Aubree Taylor, Maquoketa/Wartburg, 400H- 17th.
- Bella Solis, Davenport Central/Loras 400H- 13th.
- Fabiola Ortiz, Dubuque, Steeplechase- 7th. All American.
- Wartburg-Cherry/WSR, Folkedahl/Decorah, Helmle/Cascade, Jones, 4×1- 3rd. All American
- Wash U-Knudson-IC West, 4×4- 4th. All American.
- Wartburg-Folkedahl/Decorah, Tyynismaa/South Tama, Jones, Duehr/Dubuque Wahlert, 4×4
- Elizabeth Brandenburg, Loras, Pole Vault- 5th. All American.
- Elyse Acompanado, Loras, Long Jump- 17th.
- Tanasha Atwater, Davenport Central/Dubuque, Shot Put and Hammer Throw- Shot Put Champion. All American. 15th in Hammer Throw.
- Sam Holtz, South Tama/Wartburg, Shot Put- 15th.
- Danielle Wegter, Muscatine/Dubuque, Discus- 14th.
- Victoria Kapnisis, North Fayette/Wartburg, Discus- 15th.
- Libby Schnoor, Camanche/Cornell College, Heptathlon- 4th. All American.
- Isaiah Ellis, Dubuque, 200M- 18th.
- Patrick Mikel, Dubuque, 200M and 400M- 12th in 200M. 4th in 400M. All American.
- Isaac Smith, Marion/Augustana, Ill, 400M- 6th. All American.
- Chase Wetterling, Melcher Dallas/Simpson, 400M- 16th.
- Kylian Lally, Loras, 800M- 16th.
- Eli Kaczinski, Northeast Goose Lake/Wartburg, 10K- 12th.
- Mason Tope, Davenport Central/Loras, 10K- 13th.
- Dylan Kalinay, South Tama/Simpson, 110HH- 10th.
- Jordan Coughenour, CMB/Simpson, 400H- 7th. All American.
- Mark Fairley, Dubuque Senior/Central, Steeplechase- 2nd. All American.
- Loras, Gradoville/CR Xavier, Scott/IC City High, Lally, Mikel, 4×4- 8th. All Americans.
- Simpson, Wetterling-Melcher Dallas, Pearson-DM Hoover, Tupper-East Mills, Coughenour-CMB, 4×4- 11th.
- Augustana, Yamamoto, Swanson, Hucker, Smith/Marion- 6th. All Americans.
- Will Daniels, Central, High Jump- 10th.
- Logan Mulford, Mt. Pleasant/Central, High Jump- 7th. All American.
- Blaze Murfin, Dubuque, Shot Put and Hammer Throw- 8th in Shot Put. All American. 3 fouls in Hammer.
- Charlie Zilatitis, Cornell College, Shot Put and Hammer Throw- 16th in Shot Put. 12th in Hammer.
- Alex Link, Dubuque Senior/Dubuque, Discus- 2nd. All American.
- Isaac Frazier, Marion/Simpson, Decathlon- 5th. All American.
- Ryan Kruse, Central, Decathlon- 13th.
NAIA. May 25-27 in Gulf Shores, Alabama
Championship Meet website and results, click here!
- Tannesha Edwards, Graceland, 200M- 29th.
- Miranda Velgersdyk, Dordt, 400M- 3rd. All American.
- Molly Jo Smith, St. Ambrose, 400M and 400H- 14th in 400M. 8th in 400H, All American.
- Katie Bosch, Ankeny/Northwestern, 800M- 3rd. All American.
- Justine Van Zee, Dordt, 800M- 11th.
- Nicole Woodall, St. Ambrose, 800M- 28th.
- Michelle Mumm, Tri Center/Morningside, 800M- 18th.
- Guadalupe Gonzalez, William Penn, Marathon- 22nd.
- Krista Bushofsky, West Central/Clarke, 100H and Long Jump- 17th, 100H and 28th in Long Jump.
- Danielle Wubben, Dordt, 100H and Long Jump- 25th in 100H and 18th in Long Jump.
- Dimetrea Hamilton, DM East/Grand View, 100H- 18th.
- Mackenzie Keune, Sioux Central/Northwestern, 400H- 19th.
- Katie Hoffert, Mt. Mercy, Marathon- 17th.
- Dordt-Velgersdyk, Wind, Regenerus/RV-BH, Wubben, 4×100- 7th. All American.
- Grand View-Hamilton/DM East, Ayers/Johnston, Roberts/Ankeny, Flaws/Webster City, 4×100- 18th.
- Dordt-Velgersdykm Rankin/RV-BH, Wilgenburg, Wind, 4×400- 6th. All American.
- Morningside- Joseph, Mumm/Tri Center, Boer/Sioux Center, Pelelo-Ray/LeMars, 4×400- 14th.
- Northwestern-Bosch/Ankeny, Muilenburg/MOC-Floyd Valley, De Jong/Unity Christian, Landhuis/MOC-Floyd Valley, 4×800- 10th.
- Dordt-Lewis, Wilgenburg, De Schiffart, Van Zee, 4×800- 6th. All American.
- Morningside-Boer/Sioux Center, Shepard/Corning, Mumm/Tri Center, Warner/Council Bluffs TJ, 4×800- 4th. All American.
- Ambrose-Woodall, Plumb, Lampe/Bellevue Marquette, Smith, 4×800- 9th.
- Lauren Lamourt, Davenport Central/St. Ambrose, Long Jump- 37th.
- Sam Roth, St. Ambrose, Long Jump- 42nd.
- Brandi Hosford, St. Ambrose, Triple Jump- 10th.
- Breanna Judkins, Clarke, Triple Jump- 19th.
- Erin Soat, Clarke, Shot Put- 20th.
- Preston Kopp, Clarke, Hammer Throw- 2nd. All American.
- Taylor Wells, DM Roosevelt/Grand View, Discus and Javelin- 22nd in Discus and 22nd in Javelin.
- Kaylee Blake, IKM/Briar Cliff, Discus- 2nd. All American.
- Lavon Davis, Gilbert/Grand View, Discus and Hammer Throw- 3rd in Discus, All American. 25th in Hammer Throw.
- Kati Kneifl, Sheldon/Morningside, Javelin- 13th.
- Peyton Russell, Bedford/Waldorf, Javelin- 14th.
- Katharine Newhoff, St. Ambrose, 5K Race Walk- 3rd. All American.
- Jenny Lopez, St. Ambrose, 5K Race Walk- 5th. All American.
- Cassandra Delgado, St. Ambrose, 5K Race Walk- 7th. All American.
- Tristen Elmore, William Penn, 100M and 200M- 29th in 100M and 24th in 200M.
- Tyrell Hemingway, Graceland, 100M- 38th.
- Montae Spiller, Graceland, 100M- 24th.
- Chris Leiba, William Penn, 100M- 37th.
- Johnny Geter, Graceland, 200M- 32nd.
- Michael Ohioize, St. Ambrose, 200M and 400M- 12th in 200M and 5th in 400M, All American.
- Tim Rose, South Hardin/Northwestern, 1500M- 6th, All American.
- Will Norris, Spirit Lake/Northwestern, 5K and 10K- 14th in 5K and 4th in 10K, All American.
- Aaron Ward, State Center/Waldorf, Marathon- 11th.
- Nathan Meiners, Waldorf, Marathon- 38th.
- Austin Warren, Northwestern, Marathon- 39th.
- Andrew Murley, E. Sac County/Waldorf, Marathon- DNF.
- Luke Galloway, CR Prairie/Northwestern, Marathon-DNF.
- Evan Bowman, Mt. Mercy, Marathon- 24th.
- Reece Jackson, MMC/Morningside, 110HH- 14th.
- Jack Reemtsma, Davenport Central/St. Ambrose, 110HH and 400H- 16th in 110HH and 2nd in 400H. All American.
- Sean Skillern, Shenandoah/Morningside, Steeplechase- 15th.
- Morningside, Wilson, Griffin/CR Wash, Nordeen, Roberts/Shenandoah, 4×100- 16th.
- Ambrose, Mosher, Ohioize, Fontenot, Reetsma/Davenport Central, 4×100- 14th.
- Northwestern, Eichmann/Rock Valley, Wedel, Butters/KP-WC, TeBrink/Lemars, 4×100- 18th.
- William Penn, George, Shaw, Leiba, Elmore, 4×100- DNF.
- Ambrose, Reetsma/Davenport Central, Ferris, Watkins, Ohioize, 4×400- DQ.
- Northwestern, Goetsch/Spirit lake, Epp, Rose/South Hardin, Hollinger/Algona, 4×800- 13th.
- Dordt, Drake, Eckels/Britt West Hancock, Vander Kooi, Wensink, 4×800- 6th. All American.
- Morningside, Green, DeVries, Hiser, Schiltz, 4×800- 8th. All American.
- Briar Cliff, Haning/Nishnabotna, Heinrichs/Estherville-Lincoln Central, Kollasch/Algona, Thelen/SC Heelan, 4×800- 22nd.
- Jacob Moats, Knoxville/Dordt, High Jump- 2nd, All American.
- Cornelius McCastle, William Penn, High Jump- 6th, All American.
- William Snorgrass, Graceland, Long Jump- 11th.
- Cody Bauman, West Lyon/Northwestern, Shot Put- 14th.
- Derek Seddon, Knoxville/William Penn, Shot Put, Discus and Hammer Throw- 16th, Shot Put. Discus Champion, 15th in Hammer Throw.
- Ike Van Kempen, Dordt, Discus- 6th, All American.
- Jacob Goeller, Wapsie Valley/Grand View, Discus- 12th.
- Derek Robinson, William Penn, Discus- 10th.
- Taylor Mitchell, DM East/Grand View, Discus and Hammer Throw- 18th in Discus and 25th in Hammer Throw.
- Clay Siefken, West Burlington-Notre Dame/Grand View, Discus and Hammer Throw- 25th in Discus and 21st in Hammer Throw.
- Trevor Westhoff, LeMars/Briar Cliff, Discus- 21st.
- Armando Arellanos, Mt. Mercy, Hammer Throw- 28th.
- David Davelaar, Dordt, Hammer Throw- 23rd.
- Dustin Peasley, West Harrison/Briar Cliff, Javelin- 13th.
- Sam Burki, Briar Cliff, Javelin- 17th.
- Calvin Korver, Unity Christian/Northwestern, Decathlon- 13th.
- Cole Connell, Central Dewitt/St. Ambrose, Decathlon- 11th.
- Matthew Bolt, Dordt, Decathlon-14th.
- Anthony Peters, St. Ambrose, 5K Race Walk- Champion, All American.
- Emilio Mancah, St. Ambrose, 5K Race Walk- 3rd, All American.
The first MIAA Championships of the 2016-17 season took place Saturday morning as the cross country championships were underway. Both the Mules and Jennies raced with the Jennies taking sixth place, scoring 146 points and the Mules ninth with 216. The Jennies sixth place finish is their highest since coming in fifth in 2013.
Courtesy Jennie Athletics, Click Here! Feature image: Nicole Svendsen-Dowling-Cent. Missouri St ©Jennies Athletics
Four of the Jennies top-five finished in the top-30. After Palmowski, Nicole Svendsen was three spots behind in 26th place, running 23:14.19. Courtney Rogers and Jami Clay finished back-to-back in 29th and 30th place. They each race personal-best 6K times with Rogers crossing the line in 23:26.00 and Clay in 23:31.44. Yesenia Gomez rounded out the UCM top-five. She scored for the Jennies coming in 40th place and running 23:48.04.
Southwest Baptist repeated as team champions on the women’s side. They scored 36 points to finish ahead of Pittsburg State and Fort Hays State. Morgan Benesch of Nebraska-Kearney took the individual title, running 21:02.06.
No. 22-ranked St. Thomas Women’s Cross Country put three athletes in the top 25 in a field of 335 runners Saturday at the Division III Pre-Nationals race in Louisville, Ky.
The Tommies had seven in the top 75 and placed fourth out of 39 teams with 138 behind No. 14-ranked Hope (Mich.) (103), Bates (108) and No. 16-rated Emory (128) and just ahead of No. 20 Stevens Institute the fifth-place finisher.
Senior Bridget McGivern took 11th in a personal-best 6,000-meter time of 22:05. Junior Alex Fossum took 13th (22:12) and senior Kayla Janto placed 22nd (22:31).
Two freshmen, Sara Ness and Grace Loeslie, placed 45th and 57th, and Jenny Walz (64th), Melissa Marsh (71st) and Amber Matzoll (102nd) rounded out the Tommie lineup.
St. Thomas also had a contingent at Saturday’s Carleton Invite.
Junior Alex Fossum led three Tommies in the top 15 as No. 12-ranked St. Thomas Women’s Cross Country took a close third place out of 14 teams at Saturday’s Division III race at the U of M Griak Invitational in Falcon Heights.
No. 26 UW-Oshkosh scored 69 for first; No. 19-St. Olaf took second at 75, just ahead of UST’s 80. No. 32-Pomona Pitzer of California took fourth at 109.
Fossum clocked 24:15 for 6,000 meters and placed third in a field of 214 runners.
Senior Bridget McGivern took eighth in 24:31, and senior Kayla Janto placed 14th in 25:04.
UST ran without injured No. 4 runner Megan Gossfeld.
Five other Tommies placed in the top 35:
Jenny Walz took 27th in 25:37;
freshman Grace Loeslie was 28th in 25:38;
Melissa Marsh was 29th in 25:40;
Amber Matzoll was 32nd in 25:09;
freshman Sara Ness placed 33rd in 25:50.
The Black Hills State University cross country teams continued their seasons Saturday at the prestigious Roy Griak Invitational in St. Paul, Minnesota. The men’s team placed third overall while the women’s squad earned a 15th place finish.
Courtesy Yellow Jackets Athletics, Click Here!
The men’s squad, led by Jonah Theisen in 17th position, placed behind No. 6 Augustana University and No. 21 UC-San Diego and ahead of No. 18 MSU Moorhead. The field also contained RMAC schools MSU Denver who placed eighth, Colorado Mesa in 12th and Chadron State in 13th in the 40-team field.
Theisen ran the 8K course in 26:45.5, the highest RMAC finisher in the race. Joshua Davis, the winner of the Gage McSpadden Memorial Invitational two weeks ago, placed 33rd in 27:08.2 wile Chance Dooley and Kendall Murie placed back-to-back in 38th and 39th, respectively. Dooley’s time was 27:13.3 while Murie crossed the line in 27:15.6.
Garrett Peterson was the fifth runner for BHSU as he placed 52nd in the field of 453 runners in a time of 27:27.6
The Yellow Jacket women saw a 14-position improvement from last season as they placed 15th led by Christine Thorn with an individual placing of 17th as she navigated the 6K course in 23:36.9. Nicole Allerdings placed 78th in 25:00.7.
Shelby Stoltz crossed the finish line in 99th position and a time of 25:17.7. She was closely followed by Tori Moore in 109th place and a time of 25:22.1. The final point scoring Yellow Jacket was Kelsey Van Den Hemel as she crossed the line 171st in the 392-runner field, and a time of 26:09.0.
From the RMAC in the women’s field was the University of Colorado Colorado Springs who placed fourth, Colorado Christian in 12th Colorado Mesa in 20th, MSU Denver in 24th and Chadron State in 28th.
The Yellow Jackets return to action on Saturday, October 8, for the Yellowjacket Open hosted by Montana State Billings for the final tune-up before the RMAC Championships hosted by Black Hills State on October 22.
Central Missouri Cross Country took part in their second race of the season Saturday at the Missouri Southern Stampede. The Jennies took seventh place out of 21 Division II teams and Mules 14th out of 18 Division II teams.
Courtesy Jennies Athletics, Click Here!
Jana Palmowski was the top finisher for the UCM women, placing 13th in a personal-best time of 18:13.42. Nicole Svendsen ran under 19 minutes for the 5K race for the first time in her career. She placed 25th in 18:46.21 for a personal-best.
All of the Jennies top-five finishers race personal-bests. Amy Marx crossed the line in 19:27.72 good to score 50th for UCM. Jami Clay (19:30.78) and Yesenia Gomez (19:44.75) round out the top-five for UCM in 54th and 62nd places.
Emily Harris was the top finisher among scorers, running 17:32.49. Dallas Baptist was the Division II winner scoring 51 points. Kelsey Bruce, competing unattached was the overall winner, completing the course in 16:54.42.
For the Mules, Kenny Froebe led UCM running a 26:20.59 for the 8K course, which is a personal-best at that distance. He finished in 42nd place. Follow Froebe was Ty Hughes who ran a 26:26.62, taking 46th place. Ben Sporleder (26:36.05) and Justin Howard (26:36.59) finished back-to-back in 55th and 56th place. Kyle Skopec rounded out the top five running a 27:21.30 in his first collegiate 8K race to finish in 91st place.
Missouri Southern’s Vincent Kiprop was the top finisher overall, running 23:18.45 as the Lions won the meet, scoring 50 points.
Central Missouri is back in action in two weeks, Oct. 1 at the Kansas Rim Rock Classic, hosted by the University of
Our native Iowans did not fare as well as they wanted, but this will not tarnish their great collegiate careers:
Alec Baldwin, Spirit Lake Park, Black Hills State, Click Here!
Jessica Janecke, Dubuque Wahlert, Grand Valley State, Click Here!