Ten Panthers and the UNI women’s track and field team earned USTFCCCA academic honors.
Courtesy Panther Athletics, click here! Feature photo: Lindsie Shinkel-Ankeny-UNI ©Jim Kirby 2017
The women’s track and field team earned a cumulative 3.43 GPA. In order to be in contention for Scholar Team of the Year, a program must finish highly at the respective national championship meet and have at least a 3.00 cumulative team GPA.
All told, 360 NCAA Division I teams were honored for their academics by the USTFCCCA.
Breaking it down further, 218 of those were women’s teams compared to 142 men’s programs.
In addition to the women’s team, 10 track and field student-athletes earned individual honors.
- Isaac Holtz: Monticello, Iowa – sophomore
- Jordan Pingel: Pella, Iowa – junior
- Brad Walski: Trempealeav, Wisconsin – senior
- Lauren Frederick: Paola, Kansas – junior
- Allison Griffin: Cedar Falls, Iowa – freshman
- Lindsey Kite: Jesup, Iowa – senior
- Hope Koerperich: Dubuque, Iowa – sophomore
- Sarah Pate: Osceola, Iowa – junior
- Lyndsie Schinkel: Ankeny, Iowa – sophomore
- Kassidy Sharp: Bloomfield, Iowa – junior
Including the Scholar Athletes of the Year, a total of 516 men and 752 women earned USTFCCCA All-Academic honors during the 2016-17 track & field seasons.
To qualify for USTFCCCA All-Academic honors, the student-athlete must have compiled a cumulative GPA of 3.25 and have met at least one of the following athletic standards:
- For the indoor season, a student-athlete must have finished the regular season ranked in the national top 96 in an individual event or ranked in the national top 48 (collective listing) in a relay event on the official NCAA POP list provided by TFRRS.org.
- For the outdoor season, a student-athlete must have participated in any round of the NCAA Division I Championships (including preliminary rounds).
Scholar Teams of the Year and All-Academic Team honors for the 2016-17 NCAA Division I Indoor and Outdoor Track & Field seasons were announced Thursday by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA).